This could be the first time you’ve thought about being your own boss. Maybe you’re unhappy in your current position? Or perhaps you’ve always dreamed of running your own business? There’s never a perfect time to go into business, and discovering whether business ownership is the next step in your career journey can be a difficult decision.
Being your own boss can be an amazing adventure, giving you opportunities to create your ideal lifestyle and do something you’re passionate about – it can even give you more security and fulfilment than a regular day job. But it’s a big decision, so while it may sound wonderful, it does involve hard work and there are many factors to consider.
Read on and discover if you’re ready to be your own boss:
- You want more control. Running a business means every decision is ultimately yours. When you work for someone else you need to do things their way, but when you’re the owner you decide. With no real limit to how successful you can be, you’re in control of your future. Your earning potential is theoretically boundless, and you get to enjoy every benefit the business has to offer.
- You want to set your own schedule. It can be hard to take charge of your time as an employee. But as an owner you determine your schedule. Attaining a work-life balance and choosing your hours are often key motivators for people shifting from being an employee to an owner. Many business opportunities allow you almost endless flexibility, and choosing one that suits your lifestyle can give you more time to do what’s important to you.
- You want to do something you truly enjoy. “I never did a day’s work in my life, it was all fun”, said Thomas A. Edison – a sentiment that’s often expressed by successful business people. So much of our lives are spent working, so it’s important to make sure you’re having fun. While being your own boss can be tough, if you combine it with your passion and something you love, it won’t feel like such a chore.
- You don’t mind getting your hands dirty. No one said being the boss was going to be easy. But, if you like getting stuck in, you can expect to reap the rewards that come from a bit of hard work. Succeeding as your own boss can give you a fantastic sense of achievement, often beyond what you experience as an employee.
- You like learning. Running a business often requires taking on many different roles – like sales, customer service, and finance. Although you can utilise professionals to help, being an owner means you’re exposed to a range of responsibilities. Successful bosses are continually undertaking new experiences, so it’s important you genuinely enjoy learning.
- You’re naturally passionate and self-motivated. The most successful owners are naturally passionate and bring their own motivation to succeed. If you’re not content with just having a role, but enjoy going above and beyond, then business ownership might just be the next step in your career journey!
– See more at: http://www.seek.com.au/career-advice/6-signs-youre-ready-to-be-your-own-boss#sthash.RAAPnIW7.dpuf